RODENTS IN NEVADA
The problems caused by rats are many. Various species of rats damage a variety of crops such as citrus, sugarcane, and rice to name a few. Burrowing activities can undermine foundations. Their gnawing damages a variety of things and can cause electrical fires when insulation is chewed (mostly a problem with older homes). They damage a much greater quantity of material by contaminating it with hair, feces, and urine. The main domestic rodents found in Nevada are the house mouse, white-footed mouse(deer mouse), and the roof rat. The Norway rat may be found in isolated regions within Nevada, but is not commonly encountered.
SOME HUMAN DISEASES THAT RODENTS ARE DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY INVOLVED WITH ARE:
- Plague: The plague is transmitted to man by Oriental Rat Flea, as well as other fleas.
- Murine Typhus fever: Transmitted by the feces of the Oriental Rat Flea.
- Leptospirosis: This disease is usually contracted by contact with rat urine or ingestion of urine contaminated feed and water.
- Rat Bite Fever: Bacterial infection contracted by rat bites.
DETERMINING RODENT PRESENCE
- Sounds: Gnawing, clawing, climbing in the attic, and various squeaks are commonly associated with house mice and rats.
- Droppings: droppings should be handled with utmost care. Particularly after they have dried, feces can be reservoirs of a variety of dangerous diseases and viruses. These dry droppings break apart upon contact and release airborne particles that may enter your nasal passages, causing infection. Do not handle droppings in your home without first taking preventive measures. Droppings are left along runways, near shelters. Droppings of mice are smaller and usually harder than those produced by rats.
- Urine: House mice urinate at intervals along well-used runways, occasionally, they also will form small mounds.
- Gnawing marks: Wood chips about the consistency of coarse sawdust are produced by the gnawing of house mice. Most gnawing occurs around baseboards, doors, windows, and frames.
- Pet Excitement: Pawing and excitement of cats and dogs can indicate the presence of rodents.
- Odors: Rodents produce characteristic odors. A musky scent of house mice can be differentiated from odors produced by rats.
Contact Rebel at the first sign of a rodent infestation. Rodents are not only a hazard to human health but can compromise the integrity of an infested structure through continuous gnawing.
Prevention methods should be implemented early in order to maintain a rodent-free home. Rodents reproduce rapidly and small populations become full-blown infestations in very little time.
Rodent control may involve the use of several control measures, including sanitation, removal of harborages, rodent-proofing, use of toxicants and traps, and other methods. Sanitation is essential in a successful rodent-control program. The elimination of shelter, food, and water can man the difference between success and failure in controlling rodents. Good housekeeping practices are important. program of routine cleaning should be set up and followed. Obscure areas such as corners, shelves, under cabinets, work tables, and equipment shouldn’t be overlooked. Eliminate rubbish piles. Keep refuse in rat-proof containers until it is removed.
RODENT CONTROL OPTIONS
- Glue Boards: Low odor, fast-acting, chemical-free, easy removal and clean up.
- Baiting Systems: Multiple targets, fast-acting, and system box protects non-target animals from harm.
Rebel would like you to know that no matter which service you select Rebel Pest Control Guarantees
Interested in our rodent services? Schedule your free pest control evaluation today.